July 09, 2006

Fsyo Karasho!

I can't find the Russian keyboard switcher here. Anyway, as Russians say, everything is (or will be) all right. I had a terrible day going out to an old palace, but first a review.

Monday 7-3: I went to Spas Na Krovi, a church-museum where every surface is covered with mosaics. It was really beautiful. I decided I would like living in Russia (though today I'm not so sure).

Tuesday 7-4: We went to Kronshtadt, a fortress out in the sea. The whole island was closed to visitors until 1996. It was nice--an old church, ships, a monument to this great sailor. I learned some ocean related words, which seemed to be helpful this week. We ate at a Georgian restaurant, which was good. I had shashlik.

Wednesday 7-5: I had a test in Grammar. I'm still not sure how I did because i don't understand the teacher's grading. It seemed that I really messed up on two (out of ten or so) of the verbs, so I'm not worried. My tutor Katya took me to the planetarium, which turned out to be really interesting (though Katya didn't think so). It was about the earth and the moon, and then they showed the constellations. If only it actually got dark enough to see the stars at night. When we were walking to the planetarium, this guy walked up and gave me the finger. I also met two of Katya's friends, who asked me about cars and phones in America.

Thursday 7-6: I went with Neil and Natasha to visit my new host family. They seemed very nice, so I agreed to move in with them.

Friday 7-7: I had my midterm review with Neil, and I told him what I thought of my classes. He said he would ask the Grammar teacher to try to challenge me more, if I would agree to be more active in class. In that class and Mass Media, the teachers said I needed to talk more. I met Katya and one of her friends. They asked why I was always bored, because I never talk! I tried to explain that that was just my nature. Then we talked about movies and music. Then I moved into my new family's home. They live right on Nevsky. I got into a conversation with the grandmother and daughter about politics. The G8 summit is only a week away! The grandmother compared George Bush to Hitler. So for the first time in my life I was defending George Bush. The grandmother lived through the Blockade during World World II--St. Petersburg/Leningrad was under siege for 900 days. Her whole family died.

Saturday 7-8: We went to Peterhof, a palace out in the suburbs. There were a lot of fountains. Overall, it wasn't too bad. But coupled with the other two places i had to go this week (Kronshtadt and today Gatchina) I've concluded that I don't like the St. Petersburg suburbs. While I was walking in the fountains these guys asked if they could take a picture with me. I got them to take one with my camera too. On the way home I met this graduate student. He was Muslim and from the Caucauses, and he spoke both English and Russian. We talked about Russia and politics. Then we had a cultural moment: there was a wreck on this tiny road out in the middle of the country, and traffic was really backed up. So the mashrutka stopped and everybody got off. Some other cars decided to make their own detour and drove (in perfect lines) through the fields. Eventually we got moving again. That night I met Robyn at a cafe, then we went to a bar called Fidel. This guy started talking to Robyn because he wanted to improve his English. This band there was playing soundtrack rock music--rocky, but with no lyrics and no real direction. Then they did the rock version of "You Can't Touch This" along with some Red Hot Chili Peppers and the theme from Mission Impossible. Only in Russia.

Sunday 7-9: I'm not allergic to the Russian country. That's the only positive. I had to go to Gatchina, another palace, for this report. I couldn't get anyone to go with me, so I braved it on my own. Finding a mashrutka there was not hard--knowing when to get off was. Eventually I got off in the town of Gatchina, but nowhere near the palace. So I ask a few people for directions and set off. I'm in the middle of this (Russian) park. It's basically a hilly open area by a lake. Russians were sunbathing. In a little valley was this red and white building. It turns out to be the Priory Palace, a very insignificant little building. However, I paid to see the museum. Apparently it's claim to fame is that is was built out of rammed-earth, and I'm not positive what that means. The lady insisted there were no buildings like it in America. Inside it basically looked like a small Protestant church. There were several models and architectural drawings.

Eventually I set off to find the actual palace. By the time I got there I decided I hated Gatchina. The palace did nothing more to persuade me. It was occupied by a lot of tsars and family, but most famously by Paul I. He was so afraid of getting assasinated that he made the palace into a fortress. I saw his room, which had a secret door beside the bed. Anyway, all the rooms were small and only half of the place was restored. The highlight was this underground tunnel from the palace to a small lake. It was very cool down there, and you could hear your echo if you spoke at one end. Then I found a mashrutka stop and eventually got home. At the stop, everyone was looking at me. It was like being in the most backward town you can imagine. This guy walked by me and said something about Zimbabwe to his friend. I was more than ready to leave!

A little about my host family. The mom is a musician and has that spacy kind of air. She has a good since of humor, though. Her daughter is younger than me and is a really good artist. She paints and takes pictures. Her photo lab is in our bathroom. The grandmother is nice and is the only one in the family who eats meat. She seems to relish the fact that I do too, probably because she can cook it more often. Then there's a cat called Lucik, who just looks at me. I have a nice room with a TV and two big plants. The food is great. Overall, it's much better. I have failed to talk to the family a lot this weekend because I've been so tired, but I will make an effort this week.

Sorry if I haven't responded to anyone's emails--I've been thinking about home a lot. I miss you guys, and the US. You don't realize how much we take for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home