June 12, 2006

Добро Пожаловать!

I'm here in St. Petersburg. I don't have time (16 min) to describe everything that's gone on since I landed. I will just write a few notes from my journal, and perhaps expand on them later in the week.

Some general observations:

  • Russian people walk with a purpose. They don't smile at people they don't know, and they push through you to get where you're going. It's like everyone is wearing headphones outside.
  • There are black people here! I saw two men working as door openers for one of the palaces. They were dressed like imperial servants in white wigs. I also met a black man from France in the Russian Museum. He had been there 10 years and was now getting his Ph.D. I asked if he liked Russia, and he said, "No." He said it was very difficult living there.
  • Yes, it's cold! I think because there are so many buildings the sun doesn't really get between them, but 60 degrees is colder than I remember! So I bring my jacket everywhere.
  • Everything is in Russian. I know, obviously, but when I think of places like France (which I've never been to) I think that the tourist areas must have a lot of English. Downtown SPb has some English, but the street names, buildings, everything is in Russian. Now I know why it's not a big American tourist spot, though it is a big Russian tourist spot.
  • Speaking of Russian tourists, I was sitting outside Kazansky Cathedral on Sunday when these two Russian women walked up and took turns posing for a picture with me. They didn't say anything to me, just babbled in Russian and took the pictures! I felt like a monument!
  • The food is tasty, but I haven't had a lot of vegetables yet. I just met my host mother today, so we'll see what she cooks.
  • There are mirrors everywhere. Yes, for your hair in your bedroom, but there seem to be extra.
  • And no trashcans. I don't know why. In my house there's one in the kitchen and one in my bedroom.

What I've done so far:

  1. Tuesday and Wednesday. Orientation in Washington, DC. Nice city.
  2. Thursday. Flying. 10 hours, not including waiting in the German airport (where everything was in English and German).
  3. Friday. We arrived in SPb in the afternoon and checked into the hotel/dormitory. Then we got thrown into our first Russian speaking situation at Laima, a restaurant. The cashier was more annoyed that we were paying in 1000 and 500 ruble notes than that we were speaking bad Russian. A meal costs between 100-200 rubles, and she didn't have enough to make change.
  4. Saturday. In-country orientation. We rode the metro, changed money, looked at phone cards, made a call on a payphone, and found the internet cafe. I was finally able to talk to my mom on the phone!
  5. Sunday. Service at Kazansky Cathedral. It was standing, there was a lot of incense, it was hot. In short, I fainted after 30 minutes. I was only, I only bruised my knee, but that was very interesting. Then I had my picture taken with Russians. Then we went to the Russian Museum--lots of art, kinda boring. That afternoon I met my host brother, Sasha. He can't cook, so I ate macaroni for dinner. I expected cheese, but I had to get that from the fridge.
  6. Monday. I met my host mother, who is very nice. Her son in law said I looked like Condeleeza Rice. We also met our tutors and went on a boat tour.

I'm tired of speaking Russian, I'm glad I was able to write in English!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home